Dear Jorgensen Patrons,
Greetings! We've just wrapped up our inaugural 2020-2021 season on Jorgensen Digital Stage. This past year has certainly been a dark chapter, but it provided Jorgensen with the unique opportunity to offer livestream entertainment to all of you during this challenging time. It has been a joy to present artists from around the globe on Jorgensen Digital Stage, and to have Chris Thile and the UConn School of Fine Arts Faculty perform live from Jorgensen stage this month.
Over the course of the season, we welcomed numerous new Jorgensen Digital Stage patrons, many of whom have never stepped foor in Jorgensen Center. In fact, we had viewers from 48 states and 8 countries. Remarkable! Thank you all for joining us!
Though we remain optimistic we'll have many of you back in your seats once again next season to see live performances on the Jorgensen stage, this pandemic is not yet behind us and we're still working out the details regarding the safe return of our artists and patrons. Stay tuned for announcements about our 2021-2022 season!
In the meantime, please enjoy our latest collection of digital/streaming recommendations for May and June 2021.
From all of us at Jorgensen, stay safe, stay healthy, and stay entertained!
- Dreamstage presents Yo-Yo Ma: Beginnings : May 1, 2021, 2:00 PM EDT. Tickets start at $24.99. Cellist Yo-Yo Ma revisits some of his early performance pieces in a virtual concert. The performance will be available on demand for 48 hours starting May 1 at 6:00 pm (EDT).
- Uniting in Movement : May 12, 2021, 10:00 AM PDT. Tickets start at $25. Segerstrom Center for the Arts and American Ballet Theatre present Uniting in Movement, a project that will bring 18 dancers together for safe collaboration and exhilarating performance. The program will premiere before a live audience on April 25 in Orange County, California, followed by streaming on demand from May 12-26.
- From the Top: Fantastic Fiddlers! : May 18, 2021, 8:00 PM EDT. Free! Featuring From the Top alumni fiddlers and host Peter Dugan performing and playing musical trivia games!
- Carnegie Hall presents: Ensemble Connect Up Close : May 19, 2021, 7:30 PM EDT. Free! In the program, American Mosaic, Ensemble Connect up Close will showcase the identities, cultures, and styles of 20th- and 21st-century American composers. The virtual performance will feature renowned visual artist Kevork Mourad, who will bring the program to life with a visual display.
- Three Divas - Met Stars Live in Concert : May 22, 2021, 1:00 PM EDT. Tickets $20. Sopranos Ailyn Pérez and Nadine Sierra join forces with mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard for a program of favorite arias and scenes, transmitted live from the Royal Opera of Versailles.
- Opera Up Close at Home: Coffee Break Concerts! : Available through May 13. Free. Every Two free online concerts as part of its ‘Coffee Break’ series – ‘Calming The Tempest’ and ‘Shakespeare Re-Shaped’. Both concerts invite actors to accompany the music with their own readings, with Athena Stevens and Fiona Shaw appearing in the former, and actor Lara Steward performing Juliet’s passionate ‘Gallop apace’ monologue in British Sign Language in the latter event, alongside actor Kat Rose-Martin.
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier: Twelfth Night : Available through May 16. Tickets $25. The Chicago Shakespeare Theater has created A new audio play with original music and immersive 360° sound. Taking inspiration from the immortal line “If music be the food of love play on!,” Artistic Director Barbara Gaines reimagines Shakespeare’s lyrical romance with all-new songs from composer Joriah Kwamé.
- Mint Theater Company
- Yours Unfaithfully . Available through May 16. Free. Max von Essen stars in the Mint Theater Company production of Miles Malleson's play. Filmed Off-Broadway in 2017.
- The Fatal Weakness . Available May 17 - June 27. Free. The Mint Theater Company production of George Kelly's play about an incurable romantic who discovers, after 28 years of marriage, that her husband is a lying cheat. Filmed Off-Broadway in 2014.
- A Picture of Autumn . Available through June 13. Free. The Mint Theater Company production of N.C. Hunter's play about a family living in disarray in their decaying ancestral home. Filmed Off-Broadway in 2013.
- George Street Playhouse: It's Only a Play. Available June 8-27. Tickets $33. The New Jersey-based George Street Playhouse presents a livestream production of the Broadway comedy about Broadway by famed playwright and Tony Award winner Terrence McNally.
- Until the Flood . Available through Fall 2023. Free. Dael Orlandersmith performs her play based on interviews she conducted with the residents of Ferguson, Missouri, in the months following the shooting of Michael Brown. Filmed Off-Broadway at the Rattlestick Playwrights Theater in 2018.